Running and walking are two of the best types of exercise you can do. They are great for weight control, for improving your fitness, and improving the strength and tone of your leg muscles. But, what’s best about running and walking is that you don’t need to join a gym to do them, you can do them anywhere and anytime, and you don’t need any special equipment or skills.
This makes running and walking super-convenient, and that means you’ll have no problem doing them consistently. When it comes to successful exercise, consistency is the key!
That’s why I’ve written several guides to help you start running and walking for exercise. Both guides include all the information you need and have beginner workout programs to follow.
Please check out Running for Beginners and Walking for Health for more information.
And while you don’t need much in the way of equipment to enjoy both activities, a few basics can help. That’s why I’ve created a few equipment guides for you too.
Please check out Best Running Shoes, Best Walking Shoes, Walking Socks to Prevent Blisters, Best Daypacks, and Hydration Packs for more details.
Once you get started, you’ll soon see just how effective running and walking are for fitness and weight loss. In a few short weeks, you’ll start to feel and look different, and your workouts will feel easier and more natural.
However, it takes time to turn a new workout into a lifelong habit. In that gray area between getting started and keeping going, many exercise resolutions fall flat. That’s why so many exercisers start working out but don’t continue for more than a few weeks.
One of the problems is that habitual exercise can be boring, and that can hurt your motivation.
One way to make walking and running more enjoyable is to listen to music while you exercise. Or, if you prefer, you can listen to podcasts or even audiobooks.
Music is very motivating. The right songs can lift your mood, increase your focus, and give you energy. The speed or tempo of the music can also help. After all, it’s hard to walk or run slowly when you are listening to fast, upbeat music. This isn’t just my opinion or hearsay, scientific research supports the link between music and improved exercise performance.
Good music also acts as a distraction, making you forget that your muscles are tired and that you are out of breath.
How to listen to music when you exercise
When I first started running, I used a cassette player and wired headphones. While this worked, it wasn’t exactly the most convenient method, but it was all that was available at the time.
Even small cassette players were quite big and heavy, and the batteries (which didn’t last long) were expensive. The headphones weren’t great either, even if they were sports headphones. You had to keep adjusting them because they moved as you ran. And as for portable CD players? They were just too big and heavy for anything but walking.
Fast forward a few years, and mobile music is much easier to use. MP3 players and even smartphones make listening to music on the go a breeze. Digital music platforms like Spotify, iTunes, and Deezer allow you to access millions of different songs and create personalized playlists to listen to while you work out. You can also listen to music and playlists on YouTube – for free!
Here are three great YouTube workout playlists to try:
- Workout music mix 2018 at youtube
- Motivational workout rock music at youtube
- Pop hits workout music at youtube
To make listening to music while you exercise as convenient as possible, you also need some headphones or earbuds.
To make things as simple as possible, I prefer to use wireless earbuds. They are light, small, and with no wires to get tangled, I can just put them on and forget about them. Using Bluetooth technology, you just pair your earbuds to your compatible device and you’re off!
Headphones could work but, because they sit on or over your ears they make me too hot. If you are interested in learning more about workout headphones, please let me know and I’ll write an article about them for you. But, for now, let’s focus on earbuds.
How to choose the best wireless earbuds
With so many brands and models available, it can be hard to know where to start when buying wireless earbuds for exercise so, to help make things easier, make sure you always look for products with these features…
1. Comfortable and secure – the last thing you want is to have to run or walk with something painful in your ear, or something that keeps falling out. Make sure your chosen product fits well, won’t fall out when you are exercising, and feels comfortable.
Good earbuds are supplied with a choice of different size earplugs, so you can adjust them to fit your ears perfectly. Some also have hooks that hold your earbuds in place. I like these because that way you can just put them on and forget about them; there is no need to reposition them during your workout. That’s especially useful if, like me, you also use earbuds for yoga.
2. Water resistant – you are going to get hot and sweaty during your workout, and that means your earbuds need to be water resistant. This doesn’t mean you’ll be able to wear them swimming (although some you can) but at least they won’t break just because you are perspiring. That’s why I don’t like running headphones – it’s like running while wearing earmuffs!
3. Good battery life – the last thing you want to happen is for your wireless earbuds to run out of power part way through a workout. Some earbuds’ batteries only last 1-2 hours which means you’ll need to charge them every time you want to use them. Others last as long as 12 hours, so you might only need to charge them once a week or so. If you can, choose earbuds with a long battery life. They are usually a bit more expensive but they’re worth it.
4. Good sound quality – sound quality varies from one manufacturer to the next. You want to be able to hear your music clearly so make sure you buy earbuds that sound good. Cheaper earbuds often skimp on music quality so consider this if you are thinking of buying a budget product.
5. Compatible with your music player/device – some wireless earbuds work best with specific devices. It all comes down to the version of Bluetooth they use. And old device and a new pair of earbuds might not connect very well. Connectively may be unreliable if there is a compatibility issue. Check the technical description to make sure your device will work with your chosen earbuds.
The Best Wireless Headphones for Running and Walking
To help you choose the best wireless headphones, here are three of the best-selling, best-reviewed products on Amazon.com right now.
1. Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
Bose are one of the most well-known makers of high-end audio equipment. While their SoundSport wireless earbuds are not the cheapest around, the sound quality is simply awesome. Available in five different colors, these earbuds come with a charger and nifty case, and two different sized inner ear hooks for a secure fit. They have a six-hour battery life which is pretty good but not the best, and some users say that they are not as water resistant as they hoped. However, these earbuds are backed by a comprehensive 12-month warranty.
Amazon users award the Bose SoundSport wireless headphones a decent 3.8 out of five stars, with 52 percent of users giving the full five out of five. Most users bemoan the average battery life.
- A high-quality audio experience, consistently balanced at any volume, thanks to Bose active EQ. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Wireless convenience, with easy Bluetooth and NFC pairing aided by voice prompts
- Exclusive Stay Hear+ tips keep the headphones comfortably in place during workouts
- Sweat and weather resistance for reliability while exercising
- Up to 6 hours battery life per charge. Please refer the User Guide before use
2. Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Mic by POP Design
At about 1/3 of the price of the Bose earbuds, these wireless earbuds by POP Design are a very budget-friendly purchase. However, despite being cheap, they are loaded with useful functions. They are certified as waterproof, have an eight-hour battery life, and have ear hooks for a secure and comfortable fit. They are supplied a case and with three different-sized earplugs, so you can make sure they are comfortable and fit your ears perfectly. As a bonus, they charge fully in two hours, and also have a quick charge facility.
These great value earbuds score 4.4 out of five stars, with 79% of users awarding them the full five out of five. They aren’t the best sounding earbuds in review, but they are very good considering the price.
- BEATS ANY WIRELESS BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES ON THE MARKET: POP Design wireless sports headphones are the reliable, comfortable and affordable earbuds that you have been waiting for! Our Bluetooth headphone feature a strong 30 ft. range on top of many other features allowing you to forget that you are wearing them. Oh, and thanks to high fidelity acoustics they sound amazing too - no need to pay Bose prices! Compatible with all Apple or Android device such as iPhone 8/8+/X, Samsung Galaxy and more.
- SECURE, ADJUSTABLE FIT: POP Design wireless headphones are ultra-lightweight, ergonomic and are specifically designed to be worn during exercise. The neckband secures the earphones during running or cycling, and it allows the headphones to rest over your shoulders when not in use. Includes a total of 18 gel flex earbuds so that you can adjust the look and feel as needed. Also included comes a cord manager and a travel case to keep you organized on the go.
- HIGH RANGE BLUETOOTH: The built-in Bluetooth technology allows you to smoothly connect to up to two devices up to 30 feet away. This strong connection allows you to enjoy the incredibly crisp sound, deep bass and clear treble coming from the high-fidelity sound system without interruptions. Our sports earbuds are also equipped with a durable Li-ion battery that lasts for up to 8 hours and recharges quickly.
- FEATURE LOADED: Here at POP Design, we always aim to make things a bit better than expected. For our wireless sports headphones, we added a range of useful settings such as voice prompt capability, a built-in microphone and an IPX7 waterproof casing. Additionally, CVC 6.0 noise reduction technology will suppress background noise while increasing the voice quality during your phone calls so that you can focus on the things that matter to you.
- QUALITY BACKED BY GUARANTEE: We always thrive for 100% customer satisfaction. That's why offering a 2-year warranty for our Wireless headphones was a no-brainer for us. If anything is not to your complete satisfaction, simply reach out to us and we will make it right! Guaranteed.
3. iHard IPX7 Sweat and Water-Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds
Wireless headphones can be expensive, but they don’t have to be – as these iHard IPX7 Sweat and Water-Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds prove. Offering an eight-hour battery life, these lightweight, water-resistant earbuds are a real bargain. With built-in ear hooks, they fit securely and won’t come loose during your workout. The main disadvantage with cheaper earbuds is lower sound quality and volume, and some of the reviews on Amazon.com mention that issue. However, in terms of price, these earbuds are virtually unbeatable.
Scoring 4.5 out of five stars, iHard IPX7 Sweat and Water-Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds are the cheapest earbuds on review. 76% of users award them the full five out of five stars. They aren’t, however, the best sounding.
- [Waterproof and extra Comfort] -Featuring IPX5 waterproof protection, They withstand sweat, rain, and even accidental dips in a puddle, So you can take them anywhere. Streamline ergonomic designed, Optimized for extra comfort and fit better in ear earbuds, Super lightweight sturdy design(only 4.5g)with no sharp edges or corners and fits comfortably in your ears. Sweatproof construction is perfect for sports, running, Jogging, Gym exercise, Watching TV or Sleep.
- [Super Sound with V4.2+EDR]-With High-Quality Chip and Built-in A2DP/AVRCP Audio Processing System, Two precision acoustic drivers provide very loud, Distortion-free Stereo Sound in Exceptionally High Quality, The bass is full, Mids are articulate, Highs are sparkling, and the soundstage is wide, Nosie isolating Fit and Clear Microphone Makes Conversations Sound intimate even in Loud environment. With Bluetooth V4.2+EDR,Up to 60ft wireless range, Plugging your phone in to listen to music is unnecessary.
- [Smart and Potable] -Built-in 45 mAh lithium polymer battery, Enjoy about 3 hrs. of Talk/Play Time,380mAh Mini Intelligent Charging case Provides 3-4 Times Charges, Also doubles as a charger, you can power your Lesoom T1 while it's resting and launch into those extensive workout sessions without missing a beat, Make You Enjoy Music or Watching TV & films For a Longer Time, More Convenient To Carry charge When You Mountaineering, Hiking, Biking or go on a journey.
- [Easy to Use, Compatible] With voice notification of incoming calls and phone number, Easy to use buttons allows /play/pause/next on all your music tracks as well as all phone wse without reaching your phone, Super quick pairing with all android and IOS Devices, Each bud Can Connect Two Mobile Phones at the Same Time. Compatible with iPad, iMac, Macbook, iPhone 7 7S 6S 6 plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 + S7 S6 S5,LG G5 G4 G3,Huawei,Tablet,laptop,Computer,TV,Kindle,Fire any Bluetooth enabled devices.
- YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE -Our Products have 12 moths Replacement Warranty and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, If you are not Satisfied with your Purchase for Any Reason, Please Feel Free To Contact Us.T1 have been Completed CE, FCC, RoHS, Telec and Other Necessary Certification, and built-in High-quality Circuit Protection Board, No Worries About all Kinds of security problems.
Which wireless earbuds are right for you?
If you value sound quality over everything else, including the price, Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones (Available at Amazon.com) are the best choice for you. Their battery life isn’t the best, but these more expensive earbuds make up for that by sounding great.
If you want a cheap and cheerful set of wireless earbuds, and don’t mind sacrificing some sound quality in return, the iHard IPX7 Sweat and Water-Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds (Available at Amazon.com) are a good choice. They won’t break the bank but it’s also important to remember that you get what you pay for and this is a budget product with budget-level sound quality.
If you want a middle of the pack product that offers decent value for money and above average performance, the Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Mic by POP Design (Available at Amazon.com) are a good choice. They offer a good balance between quality and price.
Last update on 2019-03-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API