The first time I ate a Greek salad was not actually in Greece, but in a Greek-speaking country called Cyprus. Made from a variety of fresh greens, tomatoes, onion, olives, and feta cheese, and covered in olive oil, it’s served as a starter, a side dish, and a main dish.
The moment I tasted my Greek salad, I immediately understood why the so-called Mediterranean diet is often called the healthiest diet in the world; every ingredient had at least one obvious health benefit.
From the anti-cancer lycopene in the tomatoes to the heart-friendly monounsaturated fats in the olive oil, it’s no wonder that people in Greece and the Mediterranean region in general live such long and healthy lives.
With that story in mind, I was very happy to find this recipe for a Greek Salad omelette because, if a Greek salad is missing anything, it’s protein.
This recipe reminds me of my time in Cyprus, and I hope you’ll like it as much as I do. Try it tonight for dinner.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 10 eggs
- Small handful chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 handful of pitted black olives
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1. Turn your grill on and allow it to heat up.
2. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk. Add the parsley, salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for about 4-5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the tomatoes and olives and cook for two more minutes.
5. Reduce the heat and add the eggs. Cook until they begin to set.
6. Scatter the feta over the part-cooked omelette and then put the pan under the grill. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the omelette is golden and has risen.
7. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe source: bbcgoodfood.com
Picture source: recipes-plus.com
More Healthy Ideas
Don’t get stuck. I’ve published more than 250 recipes, all healthy and all for free. You can find the recipes here.
I WOULD LIKE FOR THE NUTRITIONAL VALUES OF THE RECIPE’S TO BE AVAILABLE WITH EACH RECIPE. CALORIES, FAT GM, CARB, FIBER, PROTEIN, ETC. THANK YOU.