It’s a sad fact of life that most kids don’t do enough physical activity to be fit and healthy. Passive forms of entertainment like computer games and TV have replaced playing games and sports outdoors. Combined with an unhealthy diet, this means a lot of kids are overweight and even obese.
When I was a kid, we did a lot of sport at school, and my friends and I were always walking, running, cycling, or playing active games. Today’s kids are much less active.
Caring parents who want their kids to be more active can use fitness trackers for kids to make sure their children are active enough to be healthy. The best ones turn exercise into a game and allow parents to set daily activity goals for their kids.
Not sure which fitness tracker is right for you and your kids? I’ve reviewed three of the best-selling models to help make buying the right one easier.
1. Garmin Vivofit JR.
The Garmin Vivofit JR. is designed to be “kid tough.” Available in three kid-friendly designs, parents can program this monitor using the free app to ensure their kids do the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity per day. It also has a “chore management” feature so children can earn rewards that have been agreed with the parent. There is also a built-in adventure game for kids to play.
The Garmin Vivofit JR. scores a decent 3.6 out of five stars, with 45% of reviewers awarding it the full five out of five.
- 1-year battery life - no recharging needed. The display size is 0.39 x 0.39 inches
- 24/7 wearability - swim-friendly with 5 ATM water resistance. Display resolution 64 x 64 pixels
- Kid tough - easy to put on, the 1-size-fits-most, nonstaining, 1-piece band stretches over your child's hand and fits comfortably
- Ages 4-9 years; Bands: Regular size accommodates wrists up to 145 mm; X-large fits wrists 146-170 mm. vívofit 3 bands are compatible. Physical dimensions: Circumference 5.4 inches"
- Compatible parent mobile app - free app includes fun and educational mobile adventures for kids and chore/behavior management for parents; OS compatible Android 4.4 and above with Bluetooth 4.0 or greater or iPhone OS version 9.1 and above. Refer user manual for troubleshooting steps
2. Fitbit Ace Kids Fitness Band
The Fitbit Ace Kids Fitness band is a gamified Fitbit made especially for younger users. Badges are awarded for hitting activity goals, and the user receives congratulatory messages when they hit their targets. Parents can also program reminders to help ensure their kids move more and sit less. Available in power purple and electric blue, the Fitbit Ace Kids Fitness band is water resistant and designed to be tough enough for all kid’s activities.
Reviews are a little mixed for this product. It scores a modest 3.1 out of five stars, but 47% of reviewers give it 4 or 5 out of five. The main complaint is the size of the band so make sure you measure your child’s wrist before buying.
- Tracks steps, active minutes and sleep and shows stats on a bright, tap display
- Rewards kids for hitting goals with celebratory messages and achievement badges. Kids can challenge others to step competitions plus send each other messages or cheers
- A showerproof tracker that survives splashes and spills with a secure, adjustable wristband for growing kids (one size) and Fits a wrist between 5.0 and 6.1 inches (125 mm - 155 mm) in circumference
- Syncs stats wirelessly and automatically to iOS & Android devices and has a battery life up to 5 days (varies with use and other factors)
- In the Fitbit app, parents create an account for their child under a family account (family account and parental consent required for children 12 and under)
3. Kids Smart Fitness Band
The Kids Smart Fitness Band is a wrist-worn pedometer that also tells the time, date, and day of the week. It tracks distance, steps, and calories, and has three programmable alarms to remind the user to get up and get moving. It doesn’t sync to an app or have any other kind of connectivity; it’s just an easy-to-use way to monitor basic activity levels, and that is reflected in the price. It’s certified shock-proof and the Kids Smart Fitness Band has passed the 12-foot drop test onto a concrete floor.
Scoring 3.6 out of five stars, 53% of reviewers award this simple but useful activity tracker five out of five stars.
- 1. Made of Silicone, so wear with comfort and without the harmful BPA. Passed Drop Test at 12 feet on concrete floor, shock resistant. The screen is protected by silicone. It does not scratch as the regular plastic screens do, neither does it shatter as the glass screens do.
- 2. It shows Time, Day of the Week and Date. So kids will be aware of time and build a better routine.
- 3. Three vibrating Alarms remind kids of school activities, such as tutor class, school band or sports without disturbing others.
- 4. There is a button to switch between kilometers and miles and to switch between 24-hours military mode and 12-hour mode. So kids will learn the difference between the two systems.
- 5. Pedometer and Calories track how much movements kids make and encourage them to move to prevent obesity. It tracks the whole day activities, not just each single workout. No games, no distracting notifications from calls, messages and social media. Manufacturer recommended age is 9 years and up. It fits wrists between 5.5 inches to 8.75 inches.
Which one is right for you?
Looking for a tough, easy-to-use fitness tracker for your kids? The Garmin Vivofit JR,available at Amazon.com, is a good choice, and the chore management function is a great added feature.
If you want a cheap, simple wrist pedometer to monitor how far your kid walks per day that won’t break the bank, the Kids Smart Fitness Band, Available at Amazon.com, is a great choice. With no internet connectivity and no games, it won’t be a distraction during school and study time.
If you want a fitness monitor for your kids that is very similar to a more grown-up model, the Fitbit Ace Kids Fitness Band, available at Amazon.com, is a good choice. Just be aware of the sizing and make sure it will fit your kid’s wrist.
More Fitness Trackers
Track your efforts take your workout to the next level. Fitness trackers are a great way to motivate you for that extra effort and accomplish your goals. Find more fitness trackers here.
Last update on 2019-03-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API