I come from a big family of meat eaters. I was brought up eating meat at most main meals and it was actually very unusual not to have meat a couple of times a day. As a result, I enjoy eating meat, and will probably do so for the foreseeable future.
That being said, I’m also aware that eating too much meat can be unhealthy, and that meat is not always produced in a way that’s ethical or good for the environment. I also have a lot of vegetarian friends and many readers of Days to Fitness are also vegetarian or vegan.
Good nutrition comes in lots of guises, and I have a very open mind, so I’m eating less meat and more vegetarian food both for health and animal welfare reasons.
As a neophyte vegetarian, I’m always on the lookout for new and delicious recipes to try, and when I find one I’m only too happy to share it with you!
This vegetarian soup recipe is tasty, filling, and easy to make, and it’s an ideal dinner. I love it and I think your family will too – even if they are regular meat eaters.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 2 diced sweet potatoes
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 diced parsnips
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces dried green lentils
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- ¾ pint milk
- 4 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
1. In a large pan, fry the onions in the olive oil for 4-6 minutes until softened and translucent. Add all the other vegetables and cook for five more minutes. Add the cumin and chili and cook for two minutes more
2. Add the lentils and stock to the vegetables. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the ingredients are soft
3. Add the milk to the pan and then use a stick or immersion blender to blitz until smooth. Reheat until hot
4. Serve with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of coriander
Recipe source: bbcgoodfood.com
Picture source: tesco.com
Preparing your own food, using fresh ingredients and healthy recipes is one of the most effective ways to lose weight and keep a healthy lifestyle. All my recipes shared here.
I was sad to have the recipe and not one suggestion of total nutritional values (ie calories, fat, carb, fiber, protein, etc.