Even in the middle of winter, making this light and delicious smoothie will take you back to the feeling and smells of summer! Did you know that aside from being one of the sweetest fruits, honeydew also packs a powerful vitamin and mineral punch? There is enough Vitamin C in one cup of cubed honeydew to provide 34% of the recommended daily intake of that vitamin – and Vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants to be found. Inflammation from damaged cells can cause toxins in the blood stream, and antioxidants like those found in honeydew can help neutralize them.
Honeydew fruit is also a serious source of potassium – something that the heart and blood vessels all rely on in order to continue functioning properly. Potassium carries an electric charge that helps regulate the contraction of muscles and aids communication between nerve cells as well as helping regulate blood pressure.
Vitamin B-6 is another powerful substance, this time a coenzyme, meaning it must be present in order for enzymes to activate a chemical process; a necessary trigger for the body’s use of protein. B-6 helps in the creation of serotonin, and also helps convert homocysteine into more beneficial substances which can help lower the potential of cardiovascular disease down the road.
Finally, honeydew melon is an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fiber – two things that can help regulate blood sugar and keep it in balance by slowing the absorption of carbohydrates and carrying them out of the body. Insoluble fiber helps prevent constipation as well as some types of gastrointestinal diseases – and you’ll find nearly 6% of your soluble fiber recommended daily intake in just one cup of honeydew melon for women, and nearly 4% of the RDA amount of fiber for men in the same cup.
- 2 cups honeydew, cubed
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut up
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Honeydew and/or kiwifruit slices (optional)
1) Combine honeydew, apple, kiwi, honey and lemon juice; cover and blend until very smooth.
2) Slide in the ice cubes. Cover the blender, my recommended blenders for smoothies here, and blend together until the ice cubes are fully crushed and the mixture is quite slushy. Add additional kiwifruit and honeydew slices for garnish, if desired.
Makes: 3 servings
Nutritional breakdown (per serving):
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrate: 27 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Fiber: 3 grams