Chili is a real staple in my house – I love it! It’s filling, tasty and this version is loaded with superfoods (“My Superfoods” my guide). This easy-to-make chili uses turkey instead of the more usual beef. Turkey is a superfood that is high in protein and also low in fat. If you normally eat chili made with beef, I know you’ll love this turkey-powered alternative!
Ingredients – serves 6:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil *
- 1 onion diced *
- 2 cloves garlic, minced *
- 1-pound ground turkey *
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained *
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes – no added sugar *
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder *
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano *
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves *
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Heat the oil in a large heavy pan over a low to medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Add the turkey and cook until the meat is browned. Add in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, basil and vinegar. Reduce to a low heat and cover. Simmer 60 minutes until flavors are well blended.
Serve with rice, quinoa, or a large green salad.